Saturday 23 November 2013

Being selfless

Doing my research has taught me much.  I was thinking in the gym this morning – I often use time there to think as I get lulled by the repetition of the cycle or cross trainer – and I came to thinking about ego, and giving yourself over to the needs of your learners and how hard it can be to accept you might be wrong and that there is always more to learn.

As performers we have pride: in getting a job, sustaining it, looking good, doing well and being a consummate professional and that remains when you start teaching.  Reading what my students have said about how they learn and how they teach along with what my colleagues have said about how they teach has made it all the more apparent (in my opinion) that until one can release the ego completely, one can never reach full potential as a teacher.  The same is probably true of being a learner. Why do I think this? 

With regard to learners, I have found my interviewees to be open-minded and embracing of all they receive in class.  I teach nearly all the students at the college at some point in the week and can say that there are students, however, who are very closed-minded and unwilling to embrace new ideas.  When you boil this down, however, it can in some cases be related to insecurity, I realise that, but it can also be temperament, personality type and ego.

The same can be said of teachers.  I work with some fantastically open colleagues and I have worked hard to create an environment of productive learning and constructive criticism when observing and working together.  I have had a lot of powerful experiences with the staff this term, and to follow are some examples. 

I had a meeting with one member of staff yesterday who is so humble that she has booked private coaching to enhance her range in her classes, several who have taken on every ounce of feedback I have offered them, others, who despite their age and experience still listen and try to embrace change although they can be hard work at times, and one who is a really keen learner who has demonstrated humility in the face of a difficult situation in a mock assessment this week.  I have also, however, encountered a stubborn refusal to recognise that there is any other way than theirs, with no ears for the new, to the point where my suggestions had to become veiled in ‘Ofsted box ticking exercises’ rather than tools for improving poor teaching.  It boils down to ego – a performer who thinks they know it all rather than being open to development and improvement.  The writing is on the wall – this person has received negative feedback from the students about her negativity and lack of assistance with how to improve…. it proves itself.  But I do wonder if it is also slightly narcissistic, in terms of being that elusive dancer that others cannot emulate?  If so, then teaching is not for this person.  Either that, or they are insecure – which, when admitted is never a bad admission.  It is by wobbling that we eventually find balance – it makes us more aware and open to learning. 

Talking of learning – what do you think of this?  I loved it.  So simple but so effective!


1 comment:

  1. Just read this back and am not impressed with my typo - please read

    With regard to learners, I have found my interviewees to be open-minded and embracing of all they receive in class. I teach nearly all the students at the college at some point in the week and can say that THERE ARE, not they are students, however, who are very closed-minded and unwilling to embrace new ideas. When you boil this down, however, it can in some cases be related to insecurity, I realise that, but it can also be temperament, personality type and ego.

    ReplyDelete