Wednesday 11 September 2013

As autumn unpacks suitcases and settles in

It has been an interesting and rewarding summer, and as I reflect I realise that I approach my work in a new way, with broader thinking and raised awareness.

Choosing imagery as my topic of interest was born of a small idea about the way I teach ballet.  This has grown into a much bigger idea about teaching, learning, describing, watching, listening and hearing and I find myself thinking so differently about imagery - for example, I have read avidly for a large portion of my life, but for the first time, in July, I 'saw' a book and related it to the imagery that the words were creating.  That sounds worryingly unaware, but I cannot quite describe the experience......Of course I have 'seen' books before, but never before have I been so impressed by and aware of the skill involved in bringing the page to life.  The book was Rules of Civility by Amor Towles, and it was joy from start to end.  There are 2 paragraphs very close to the end of the book that I could hear as the voice-over for the start of the film; so vivid that I could visualise the scene in great detail and understand the whole concept and genre.  Most interestingly there was a section at the end of the book, a q & a with the author that discussed the use of imagery.  A real treat - and perfect movie material.

Another imagery adventure was creating the musical Footloose with my summer youth cast in Rugby.  This was my 21st youth project - so I am no stranger to the process of creating a show in 8 days with a large cast of varied experience and ages.  This year, however, I was really concious of the power of the words the creative team (myself, choreographer and musical director) used to create the shows opening environment of Chicago and then the repressed town of Bomont.  When working like this speed is of the essence and it is vital to capture the imaginations of the cast so that they 'believe'.  Only when this belief is there can the audience be transported, and it was vital that every member of the cast be they 10 years old and on the stage for the first time or 21 and playing a leading role was part of the community.  I was really aware of the descriptive way we communicated what we needed and the right energy and mood was captured by all the cast members, which led to a really committed and enthusiastic cast who gave a really embodied performance.  I am sure I have worked like this in the past, but it was interesting to be able reflect in this way with a broader vision.

I have also been captivated by reading Psychology of Dance by Jim and Ceci Taylor which refreshed and re-framed my thinking about the possibilities of success imaging and added much to my research ideas.  I am hoping that the participants in my research may find that they have a more positive approach to their training and capabilities once the work is done.  It is important to me to have something to offer them for being brave and taking part - it is always hard to reflect and be open and honest - and to have something to offer a wider audience in time.

I think my research is going to take me to unexpected realms, and I am prepared for this.  When I started this course I was most interested, probably because it was what I knew, in the type of imagery I use when teaching.  Since then there has been a shift and I am more interested in establishing how others feel - students when they are learning and teachers when they are teaching.  Perhaps worryingly narrow-minded at the start, but exciting at the onset of my research.  I am ready to listen, see and hear with open eyes and ears and an open mind and as autumn unpacks suitcases and settles in, I am settling in to accepting the unknown and feeling ready to face it head on.








1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Janet!! Love the possibilities of the unknown - so exciting, this for me is what is exciting about research, about dancing, about being really! Your journey has broadened your perspective, your reality, that is clear from talking to you and your writing, this is great...continue to enjoy the journey, taking each step as a leap into something new now...

    ReplyDelete