Saturday 21 September 2013

Acorns, oaks and other woodland matters


Taking a more focussed look at my work for Module 3, I am going to try and put into words where I was and where I am, and what I think I am about to do.  No point whatsoever in trying to imagine where it will end up because I could not possibly predict!


As I mentioned in my last blog, my interest since day one has been the use of imagery in dance training, sparked by an inspiring read – Inside Ballet Technique by Valerie Grieg – and my personal journey as a teacher.  Since starting the MAPP I have encountered much writing about imagery, and have been introduced to a wide range of imagery related possibilities that I had not previously encountered.


They say that out of small acorns large oaks may grow, (a tree being my favourite image to use in dance class) and my acorn has allowed me to embrace, dislike, tussle with and learn from the work of many new writers and researchers such as Eric Franklin, Drid Williams, Jennifer Cumming (I find her research very stimulating) along with the Phenomenologists such as Husserl.  There have been several ‘lightbulb’ moments – Psychology of Dance by Jim and Ceci Taylor being one, and little phrases, quotes, moments, facts in so much of the literature I have come across that my mind is constantly engaging with new thoughts and ideas and new ways of finding out more.  I started from a relatively narrow perspective, but we all have to start somewhere and currently I stand on the precipice – about to leap into the unknown.  


Working qualitatively, for example, is relatively new for me – I am used to logical and factual analysis of figures both in previous research work and in my current post, so learning to drill down into a more narrative type of data will be an interesting challenge – and a more human outcome I guess.  That’s why I opted for Phenomenology – describing the lived experience.  I will also try and get some factual data as I am interested to see how it compares to the more personal narrative data derived from interview.  I have gained some really useful information from reading both quantitative and qualitative studies and feel that there is something in comparing both and something to be gained from having both.


I think in real terms my research is going to take me more into the realms of psychology:  I am reading about sport psychology at the moment, related to imagery via the notion of positive imaging, along with my current fascination which is that of focus.  I do bounce around a bit – something I read sends me off on another trail, and sometimes I cannot see the wood for the trees but I know somewhere in all of this there is a lot to discover and that I will find a way through.


My first notion was to research how students interpret and utilise imagery, how teachers teach imagery, and how teachers learn to teach imagery within this genre.  It feels at present like a rather huge undertaking and I am currently refining how to approach researching within all 3 areas.  I will be using a profiling system at first, with the students, which should allow me to establish a manageable number of participants between 3 year groups (as I wish to look into differences and similarities as experience evolves), followed by interviews.   I have to work differently with teachers as I am not looking into the same areas as the students, and am currently preparing how I will do this.    I have had second thoughts about trying to triangulate too much externally to my place of work, which may seem narrow-minded, but realistically within the given time frame there simply may not be time to gather enough back from elsewhere – I will save that for the next study.  I will contact other teachers, just not other students as I am aware of just how hard it is to get the participation you require.  The rest I cannot document..... the truth is out there somewhere!



So – that’s it for now – I am looking forward to hearing what your topic is, where you are at, what you are discovering!  

No comments:

Post a Comment