Friday 27 December 2013

Musings as the end is nigh

There are but a few weeks until all work is completed, submitted and my MAPP journey is done.  As I work through the end of the first 2 submissions, I have had to get practical and think about how I am going to hand everything in which has led to me searching Amazon to find what I need in the way of stationery.  It sounds crazy I know but it is a practical consideration and I have needed to stock up on ink (which seems to dissolve), paper, folders, and whatever else I need to hand my work in in a way which is clear to any reader.  I hope that anyone who reads my work has a clear journey through it so making sure all references to appendices and other documents should thorough and easy to navigate and I will check and re-check before submission. 

I have found that there has been much actual writing involved, from transcribing interviews, which amounted to some 50,000 words to what I then did with them, hand notating, processing, analysing, extracting, grouping and summarising and compiling my review and artefact – which I always knew would be the case, for you cannot share research without going through any of the above processes, but I think the actual physical appearance of the submission will be more substantial than I first imagined.  I can only hope that I am able to get everything in my head across.  Really frustrated by the fact that last night as I was trying to get to sleep a great phrase formed for my review and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was…. I will let it go and ask it to come back to me when needed, or hope that the essence of it is in my mind somewhere!


There is an outline of a presentation waiting in the wings, which has changed greatly already and I am looking forward to getting it together once the other work is in, and again can only hope that I can get across everything that I want to say as so much has presented itself, sometimes in slow burn thinking processes and sometimes as a waterfall of ideas, thoughts and learning.  I have new areas to question for sure, some radical, but all, in my opinion, logical as an outcome of my recent research and related experiences.  So: much learned that I am hoping to present captured in time for submission and also as seeds planted which will shape my future.  I cannot be anything other than different having been on this journey – and different in this case is good.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janet, How is life after Mapping?! On Sunday we had a Skype session the new Module Ones and we (the new Module Two's) provided advice on the prior module (I wrote it up on my blog) in relation to research and planning and just wondering if you had any advice on starting Module Two what helped you getting your head around research and the proposal and anything in general. Many Thanks Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie I have only just seen this - I am so sorry. I hope all is going well for you with the new module. I already knew what I wanted to research when I started the course - and I know Adesola feels that is not the ideal but I would not have undertaken the course had I not been compelled by what I was already interested in so I guess it is horses for courses. I would say that I found Module 2 tricky - possibly as I was already raring to research my topic but I did discover lots on the way. Have you found a topic yet?

    Oh - and my advice of the day - leave lots of time for everything - especially Module 3 - which got very big as it went on for me... it was hard to eliminate extra words and make everything fit. Also making sure it was all as I wanted it was a bit pressurised so try and get close to finishing with a couple of weeks to spare so you can check, check and check again! Please keep in touch - I will check in more often... I was truly shattered for a while when I finished and then had a really busy term - getting back to normal as we speak!

    All for now

    Janet

    ReplyDelete