Saturday 2 March 2013

When is a ballet class not a ballet class and how to get the balance right.....


Reading Eric Franklin's 'Dance Imagery for Technique and Performance' has widened my thinking about imagery, its scope and its uses.  I have started to take the book into my classes, and am trying to encourage my students to think differently in the approach to their work, all of which is going well.  I have been doing this kind of work ever since I discovered Valerie Grieg's 'Inside Ballet Technique' which supported what I already thought, so all good.

However, last night I started to read Drid Williams' 'Teaching Dancing with Ideokinetic Principles' and I felt like my brain might pop....

I refer to Page 2 of Chapter 1, which quotes Jean George Noverre (1760) as cited by Derek Lynham in 1950 (138):  'There may be only one right principle to be taught, but is there only one way of demonstrating it and of imparting it to the students one undertakes to teach, and must one not of necessity lead them to the same end by different ways?'

For me this sums up the teaching of dance, both within concepts that are way bigger than teaching and within how I feel about and approach teaching.  The thought that there was this level of awareness within approaching teaching dance (and this quote also discusses the fact that each physique is different and therefore will appropriate technique according to physiognomy) as early as 1760 was incredible to me, especially as I witness teaching today that does not seem to account for either statement.  Within the communities within which I teach, I have always felt that my teaching is different – and I have been told this is the case by my students.  Now I am reading book after book that confirms that this practice is out there and I feel inspired, yet a small fish in a large pond.  Although this is reassuring and inspiring, I have a slight anxiety which I want to put out there….

Reading about Williams’s utilisation of Lulu Sweigard's 'principles regarding imagery in dance technique classes' (Chapter 1, page 12) and how Williams approaches teaching: ensuring that the dancer in the class is thinking about what anatomical processes are taking place, (the ‘how to’ that I have discussed since the start of this study process,) was inspiring and I related well to the structure that the lesson may take, which included taking time to explain and identify areas of the anatomy which are responsible for certain actions such as turning out.  In my classes I often state that I would prefer quality to quantity, and often commence a class, or take time within it to stop, to refer to text or visual images, or use verbal descriptions to work on a step, line, position, or sequence rather than running through a set amount of work in a set format, following one exercise with another.  

I was cautioned however by the comment further down page 12 that ‘Not everyone responds positively to the kind of teaching I advocate…’ I now feel that part of my research should include a survey of the balance between who feels they benefit from my teaching methods and who does not.  I guess it is an advance on ascertaining the benefits and uses of the imagery I use.  I feel a little vulnerable, and need to remind myself of the positive feedback I receive, but nonetheless I need to put myself through this to ensure that I am giving the students what they need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment